Made in Manurewa - Goalball NZ Champions
Congratulations to the 2015 Goalball New Zealand Open Grade Champions, ABSRC Juniors – a team stacked with players and supporters connected to Manurewa High School.
Last year the team came fourth in the nationals, and manager Dallas Phillips says it is a credit to their work ethic that they have improved so much.
“They have worked hard and added much to our club in their excitement and love of fun,” Dallas says. “We had many positive comments at the nationals about how much their skills and knowledge of the game had developed, but most importantly many people commented on how helpful they have been to our goalball community.”
The team is:
- Justin Hammond (Captain and former Manurewa High School student).
- Naqibullah Alizadeh (current Manurewa High School student).
- Shekhar Paliwal (current Manurewa High School student). Shekhar also received the top goal scorer trophy in the open grade, for 25 goals.
- Tet Peng (former Manurewa High School student).
- Charles Tauhore (Coach and former Manurewa High School student).
- Jason Griffiths (Assistant Coach and former Manurewa High School student).
- Dallas Phillips (Manager).
- Lopa Muagututia (Manurewa High School student), was also a valued team member and participant at training. However, he was unable to attend the finals.
The club is grateful to Manurewa High School teacher Belinda Biggs and the PE staff for assisting the ABSRC Junior team with lunch time practices and transport to regular weekend club practices. This extra support was a big factor in their ability to put time into training, and get the results on the court.
The Goalball Nationals took place at Labour Weekend at St Kentigern Boys School, and happened with the additional support of the Halberg Disability Sport Foundation, Blind Sport New Zealand, Paralympics New Zealand, Blind Foundation and Goalball New Zealand.