Stand Up Stand Out Success
‘Stand Up! Stand Out!’ is a performing arts competition for Auckland secondary schools proudly delivered by Auckland Council. Following heats and semi-finals over the past month, five acts from Manurewa High School qualified for the finals at the Vodafone Events Centre on Friday, 28 August.
The students put in hours of practice on a daily basis, and their efforts were rewarded with three groups placed first:
- ?Dance section Dueces - Jordan Anderson, Murphy Faalavaau, Sakiasi Tavita Faaui, Andy Ha, Edmund Me-Maiava, Willie Paeniu, Marquise Rogers, Christian Segi, Steve Tahere, David Tinomana, Folomalo Toelupe, Tommy Tran, Jerome Vini.
- Band section Nesian Vibes - Kenese Kenese, Viliamu Kenese, Tupou Letoi, Wyona Murray, Michael Saili-Motun, Phillip Tele'a, Faasolo Moananu.
- Solo Instrumental section Finau Fulivai (drums).
Congratulations also to our other two finalists:
- Salute dance crew: Tyrone Faapoi, Jaden Godinet, Nese Godinet, Amber 'Inia, Alice Sam Lam, Saige Mamanu, Iavana Seuala, Jerish Tanuvasa, Blade Tuiasau-Makoare.
- Solo instrumentalist Faasolo Moananu.
Councillor Alf Filipaina, who chairs the Arts, Culture and Event Committee, says council is committed to growing a culturally rich and creative Auckland by providing a platform for young people to grow and further their interest in performing arts – growing Auckland’s artists of the future. “We have an awesome talent in our high schools. I love seeing the passion and energy that goes into Stand Up! Stand Out! This event is about giving our young people the power and chance to unleash their creativity,” he says.